“Setting Goals is the first step in turning the invisible into visible.” – Tony Robbins
It’s interesting when I read a new quote that emphasizes setting goals, focus, or any number of topics that revolve around getting something done. This is yet another quote that raises the importance of setting goals.
All of us are unique. We all have our own aspirations. These aspirations are the daydreams and visualizations of a better life, a future relationship, stable finances, visiting a place in the world we’ve never been before, or sculpting a better body in the gym.
The important point this quote makes is that in order to bring an idea into reality we have to commit ourselves to do it. We have to look at the “end state” of where we want to be and begin putting together the steps we envision that will make it a reality. This is so simple, yet so difficult.
The difficulty comes when we doubt ourselves, we lose interest in the goal, or we give up. The goal itself isn’t the issue—we are. The next time you begin a goal-setting session take some time to reflect on what you want. This I have found to be absolutely critical to accomplishing anything. We have to see the payoff at the end. In order for us to achieve anything, the payoff we receive has to be large enough to offset the price we pay to attain the goal. I’ve found that many of the goals I “thought” I wanted to accomplish either required too much of a price for the payoff or it really wasn’t something I wanted to do. This is ok.
This is why it is so important on the “front-end” of this process to really figure out what it is that you want and what it is you want to do. I call this finding your “why”. If you can find your “why” and can get excited about how your life will be when you accomplish this goal, you’re 75% there. The rest is the 25% of the effort you’ll need to get across the finish line.
Until next time…