“You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.” ―
Have you ever done something nice for someone without saying anything or expecting anything in return? The feeling you get when you do something like this is different than the feeling you get when someone knows you did them a service. It is a more complete feeling. It’s hard to explain.
Obviously, we all like being appreciated or thanked for our efforts, but doing something selflessly provides so much more. Here are some ideas for you to think about:
- Picking up someone’s trash can that has fallen over, while they’re at work
- Paying for someone’s coffee at your local coffee shop or paying for someone’s meal at a restaurant without them knowing
- Leaving a note on a colleague’s desk telling them they are awesome, loved, or terrific (I enjoyed leaving sticky notes on someone’s computer screen before they got to work)
- Picking up trash while on a hike or when you walk down your street
- Picking up something that has fallen off a shelf at your local department store
- Leaving a sticky note on someone’s car window wishing them a great day!
These are just a few examples of some things you can do that contribute. Here are some things you can do for people that can’t pay you back:
- Volunteer to work at a homeless shelter or Food Kitchen
- Volunteer to work at your local library
- Help someone when they’ve broken down along the side of the road
- Get some food for a homeless person
- Deliver a holiday basket to a military recruiting station, police station, or fire house
These are just examples of the service you can give to other people. You’ll feel terrific when you’ve done these things and the people on the receiving end will feel good too. I prefer to do things when people don’t know that I’ve done it. The feeling you get back when you do something out of pure love for people is a great thing. It really is.
I wish each of you a terrific Saturday.
Until next time…